Wednesday, April 29, 2020

On the I-I of Ramana Maharshi


For a long time I wondered why Ramana Maharshi used the expression “I-I” (“Aham aham”) for the Self, and now I think I've finally figured this thing out. Perhaps this is already well-known to others, but for me this was a real eye-opener. 

In his Talks, Ramana opposes “Aham aham” to “Aham idam” which means “I am this”. This, of course, conveys Maharshi’s conviction that the Self is pure “I-am-ness” without being anything in particular. As Maharshi said:
“One should not think “I am this – I am not that”. To say “this or that” is wrong. They are limitations. Only “I am” is the truth.” (Talks, p.164)

But why then not just speak of “Aham” pure and simple, why the repetition “Aham aham”? If “Aham idam” means “I am this” then “Aham aham” literally means “I am I am” which is of course reminiscent of the name of God in Exodus, “I Am that I Am”. As is well known, Maharshi repeatedly said that “I Am that I Am” is the best ‘definition’ one can give of the Self.

As is noted in the Talks, Maharshi at one point made the remarkable statement that “the whole Vedanta is contained in two Biblical quotes: “I Am that I Am” and “Be still and know that I am God””. (Talks, p.255) (The second quote conveys, for Maharshi, the idea that stillness of mind, the quieting of thought, is necessary for Self-realisation.)

It now seems obvious to me that Maharshi meant something like the “I Am that I Am” from Exodus with his expression “I-I”. This is also suggested by the fact that in Tamil – Maharshi’s native language – the expression “nan-nan” (which translates literally as “I-I”) is automatically understood to mean “I am I”, which conveys much the same meaning as “I Am that I Am”...

In short, I think the standard translation of “Aham aham” as “I-I” does not fully convey Maharshi's meaning, which is rather much closer to “I am I” or the “I Am that I Am” from Exodus. It expresses the insight that the Self is primarily immediate self-consciousness.

This also makes clear why Maharshi said things like: “To be the Self is the same as seeing the Self.” (Talks, p.251) That is: the being of the Self is the seeing of itself, which expresses the old Vedantic notion of the self-luminosity of the Light of Awareness. The Self is immediate self-awareness, the immediate knowledge ‘I am I’ or ‘I Am (that I Am)’…


Om shanti om

Literature
Talks with Ramana Maharshi, 2001, Inner Directions Publishing, Carlsbad, California.

1 comment:

  1. “One should not think “I am this – I am not that”. To say “this or that” is wrong. They are limitations. Only “I am” is the truth.”

    However, any concept of "I" requires some kind of limitation -- if "I" is identical with everything, the term makes no sense. Hence the ultimate conclusion would have to be: "am!"
    No more "I".
    Do we want this?
    Walter

    ReplyDelete